Reputable analyst firm Economist Intelligence Unit published a ranking of the best cities to live in 2011.
Quality of life in 140 cities across the company’s experts evaluated on 30 parameters, including safety, health, social stability, education, infrastructure development, availability of goods and services, the environment and the diversity of cultural life.
Let us begin with the last, 10th place…
10 place. Auckland, New Zealand, 95.7 points
1. 10th spot is the city of Oakland. This is the largest city in New Zealand with a population of about 1.3 million people, a quarter of the total population.
2. Today Auckland is the economic and cultural center of New Zealand, by historic attractions the city is not rich, but that’s the beauty of its picturesque, Auckland affects many hearts of those who come here for the first time. One of the attractions – Sky Tower high-rise tower (Sky Tower) 328 feet tall – the tallest building in the southern hemisphere
3. Auckland is surrounded by three marine bays , the precincts of the city has 48 extinct volcanoes. Night Auckland
4. Panorama of Auckland with Sky Tower
9th place. Adelaide, Australia, 95.9 points
5. 9th place belongs to the capital and the largest city of South Australia, the fifth-largest city with a population of over 1.1 million people – a city Adelaide.
6. It is named in honor of the queen – the wife of King of Great Britain and Hanover, William IV, sits on the throne from 1830 to 1837 years.
7. The city is located on the ocean. The central part of Adelaide’s high-rise, with a few modern skyscrapers , and the rest of town has one or two storey in nature. Perfect cleanliness, neatness and perfect finishing of buildings – the card of Adelaide. Victoria Fountain
8. Here, tourists are attracted to Adelaide, the third largest in Australia, Kangaroo Island – Wildlife with a colony of sea lions and a beautiful fishing beach. also average income of every worker. however, the quality of life and property values here are significantly lower than in other major cities in Australia. Kangaroo Island
8th place. Perth, Australia, 95.9 points
9. Perth – the largest city and capital of Western Australia with a population of 1.2 million people, located on the shores of the Indian Ocean.
10. The city is considered one of the main economic centers in Australia. It produces gold, diamonds and nickel. the world’s largest gold deposits discovered nickel in the area Kalgoorlie, the world’s leading diamond-district Kimberley, which is the main competitor to South Africa and Yakutia diamond deposits.
11. Modern skyscrapers
12. Perth is called “the pearl of Australia.” Old buildings, convenient pedestrian zone in the heart of Perth, beautiful views of River Perth catch attraction of tourists.
13. One of the attractions – meteorite crater Wolf Creek
14. Mild and equable Mediterranean climate of Perth, beautiful beaches, restaurants, bars and nightclubs make it more attractive.
7th place. Sydney, Australia, 96.1 rating
15. Australia’s largest city in the south-east coast – Sydney. it is another huge city and the main problem for all travelers – they need time to see as much as possible.
16. The number of parks and green oases, make Sydney unlike from other major cities of the world: 34 acres of Royal Botanic Gardens – next to the skyscrapers in the City
17. In summer the whole of life in Sydney move to the beaches here you will found more than 20 city beaches, and a dozen harbors. The most famous Bondi Beach (Bondi) – favorite place to surf in Sydney.
18. Sydney in the evening, incredibly handsome promenade lights on skyscrapers pierce the water harbor. One of the most recognizable buildings in Sydney – Building of Sydney is Opera House
19. Another main attraction of Sydney – the Harbour Bridge. It is the largest bridge of the city and one of the largest steel arch bridges in the world
20. An aerial view of Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House
6th place. Helsinki, Finland, 96.2 points
21. Helsinki – the capital and largest city of Finland with a population of 578 thousand people.
22. Streets curve around bays, bridges connect the islands, and ferries communicate with the remote islands. smell of sea is common and ports get constant noise from incoming and outgoing ships.
23. Helsinki is the hub of business, education, culture and science in Finland. In Greater Helsinki there are 8 universities and six technology parks, Here you will see – View of the city center. One of the attractions of Helsinki – The Cathedral
24. 70% of foreign companies operating in Finland are located in the city.
25. Helsinki is a maritime city, Built on the peninsulas and islands of the Baltic coastline.
5th place. Calgary, Canada, 96.6 points
26. Calgary – largest city in the province of Alberta, Canada, in the foothills and prairie, about 80 km east of the watershed of the Canadian Rockies.
27. This city is one of the sunniest in Canada – the sun shines an average of 2,400 hours there each year.
28. Calgary is located in the transition zone between the foothills of the Canadian Rocky Mountains and the Canadian prairies, so it is fairly hilly terrain.Center height above sea level, Calgary is approximately 1048 m.
29. Life in Calgary, one way or another, revolves around oil. Its deposits discovered in the early 20th century. Despite this, the city is considered one of the cleanest city in the world by many organizations.
30. Olympic Plaza area. In the distance you can see the famous landmark – Calgary Tower-height 91 m. It is designed so that, gently swaying in the wind, even with very strong gusts to maintain its stability.
31. The business part of Calgary, 2010
4th. Toronto, Canada, 97.2 points
32. Toronto – Canada’s largest city and provincial capital of Ontario, current name of the city received in 1834.
33. Toronto – Canada’s most cosmopolitan city, about 49% of its residents are immigrants. View of the city from a helicopter, November 2010
34. In Toronto, the longest street in the world – Young Street, registered in the Guinness Book of Records and has a length of 1896 km. It is the largest zoo in the world. The area of the zoo is 283 hectares. Here, in conditions are close to the environment, natural habitats, contains about 5,000 different animals. The view from the heights on the other side of Toronto
35. CN tower – the world’s tallest tower, built in 1976. Its height is with a spire 553 meters and 446 meters in height.
36. It is difficult to find the point where it is not visible .
37. Toronto Islands – a perfect place for recreation and picnics. local tourists love this place. View of town from the island
38. The main attraction is the area of Toronto, Niagara Falls. It is situated between Lake Ontario and Erie on the border with the United States, 140 km from Toronto.
3rd place. Melbourne, Australia, 97.5 points
40. Melbourne – the second largest city in Australia with a population of 3.8 million and the capital of Victoria. The city is considered one of the major commercial, industrial and cultural centers in Australia. It is also often referred to as sports and cultural capital of the country.
41. Melbourne is considered to be the most beautiful city in Australia. Because of the elegant Victorian architecture, and wonderful nature.
42. Lovers of Victorian architecture is worth a walk down the street Suonston. It is the central street of the city
43. Besides, who wants to see all at once in Melbourne, is up to the observation deck of the Tower Rialto. This is a skyscraper whose height is 253 meters.View from Rialto Tower
44. One of the attractions – Victorian Arts Centre
45. Yarra River, Melbourne
2nd place. Vienna, Austria, 97.9 points
47. Vienna – capital of Austria, situated in the eastern part of the country. The population of the suburbs of Vienna is about 2.3 million.
48. This is one of the most charming cities in Europe, lying on the banks of the Danube.
49. Vienna – a world-renowned center for music, thanks to a long line of famous artists who lived and worked in this city: Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, Schubert.
50. Here, there are palaces and majestic squares, picturesque streets and numerous parks. One of the most recognizable buildings in the city – City Hall
51. Imperial Palace – winter residence of the Austrian Habsburgs and the main seat of the imperial court in Vienna. At the present time – the official residence of the President of Austria. Got 2600 halls and rooms.
52. Located near the capital of the Vienna woods – a mountain massif in Austria. This is a wonderful natural recreation area, a forest area with their own towns and hotels, spas and hot springs.
1st place. Vancouver, Canada, 98.0 points
53. So, we got to the 1st place. According to market research firm Economist Intelligence Unit, the best city on earth to live in Vancouver.
54. Vancouver is located on the west coast of Canada, in the beautiful bay at the foot of the Pacific coastal ranges of North American Cordillera.
55. It’s a third-largest city in Canada with a population of 2.433 million people and the largest settlement in British Columbia – Vancouver from a height of 500 meters
56. Vancouver Night
57. One of the most beautiful cities in the country surrounded by thick pine forests, snow-capped mountains and fords.
58. Beacause of many rivers, city was laid 20 bridges, 3 of which are movable.
59. This is one of the most beautiful cities in the world of ocean. There is a spacious beaches, and lush parks, magnificent architecture and buildings. Tourists from around the world are attracted by comfortable hotels, many museums, shops, restaurants and sports facilities.
60. Vancouver has a mild climate, being part of a unique ecosystem, so the summer is mild and not hot, and winters rarely snows.
61. The famous Queen Elizabeth Park in Vancouver, which is located on the hill Little Mountain