“Meditation simplifies our outer life and energizes our inner life. Meditation gives us a natural and spontaneous life, a life that becomes so natural and spontaneous that we cannot breathe without being conscious of our own divinity.”
While a meditative state is the natural outcome of yoga and the spiritual benefit of meditation is supreme bliss or enlightenment, these words are unlikely to be understood by many. In a modern world that values activity, achievements and results, it is perhaps surprising that more people are turning to meditation.
For all the activity of modern society, many still feel a fundamental need for silence, inner peace, and a moment of reflection. Meditation can reduce stress and help us relax; but, it can also give us a lot more. These are some of the benefits that daily meditation can give us.
Meditation helps to reduce stress by teaching us to switch off from the worries that can plague us through the day. Meditation can give us peace of mind, and this can be a helpful step in avoiding many stress related ailments. Meditation has also been shown to relieve the pain associated with certain illnesses. Through meditation we can bring our unruly mind under control. This creates peace of mind and enables us to achieve what we want to.
Meditation takes us to the source of happiness, which is to be found in our own peace of mind. If we have no peace of mind and are constantly attacked by negative thoughts, happiness will remain elusive, no matter how successful we are on an outer plane. It is perhaps hard to imagine that happiness can occur from the simple act of being.
Be it work, sport or music, concentration is essential to fulfill our potential. In one pointed concentration there is great power; our energy and focus do not get dissipated. When we have concentration we can do more in less time. Through meditation we gradually improve our powers of concentration; this focus can be used for both meditation, and also other activities we engage in.
In meditation we gain a new perspective of life, uncolored by our own egoistic perspective. For those who wish it, meditation can become a lifelong process of answering the eternal question: “Who am I?”
Improvement of body luster and general health-When your mind focuses on a particular part of the body, the blood flow to that part increases and cells receive more oxygen and other nutrients in abundance. Today, many of the film stars and fashion models include meditation in their daily regimen.
Improvement in concentration – Many of the athletes and sports professionals regularly employ meditation methods. Studies have found a direct correlation between concentration exercises (meditation) and the performance level of sports professionals. Meditation strengthens the mind; it comes under control and is able to provide effective guidance to the physical body to effectively execute all its project. Psychological Exercises are a powerful way of improving concentration and improving mental strength.
Though meditation is usually recognized as a largely spiritual practice, it also has many health benefits. The yoga and meditation techniques are being implemented in management of life threatening diseases; in transformation of molecular and genetic structure; in reversal of mental illnesses, in accelerated learning programs, in perceptions and communications beyond the physical, in solving problems and atomic and nuclear physics; in gaining better ecological understanding; in management of lifestyle and future world problems.
There are so many advantages to meditation. In this post, I indeed wanted to make it 100 benefits for you.Well, I made it happen! Meditation is as powerful as I thought it would be.
Here is the best list of benefits that meditation can provide you with:
- It lowers oxygen consumption.
- It decreases respiratory rate.
- It increases blood flow and slows the heart rate.
- Increases exercise tolerance.
- Leads to a deeper level of physical relaxation.
- Good for people with high blood pressure.
- Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate.
- Decreases muscle tension
- Helps in chronic diseases like allergies, arthritis etc.
- Reduces Pr-menstrual Syndrome symptoms.
- Helps in post-operative healing.
- Enhances the immune system.
- Reduces activity of viruses and emotional distress
- Enhances energy, strength and vigor.
- Helps with weight loss
- Reduction of free radicals, less tissue damage
- Higher skin resistance
- Drop in cholesterol levels, lowers risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Improved flow of air to the lungs resulting in easier breathing.
- Decreases the aging process.
- Higher levels of DHEAS (Dehydroepiandrosterone)
- Prevented, slowed or controlled pain of chronic diseases
- Makes you sweat less
- Cure headaches & migraines
- Greater Orderliness of Brain Functioning
- Reduced Need for Medical Care
- Less energy wasted
- More inclined to sports, activities
- Significant relief from asthma
- Improved performance in athletic events
- Normalizes to your ideal weight
- Harmonizes our endocrine system
- Relaxes our nervous system
- Produce lasting beneficial changes in brain electrical activity
- Helps cure infertility (the stresses of infertility can interfere with the release of hormones that regulate ovulation).
- Builds self-confidence.
- Increases serotonin level, influences mood and behavior.
- Resolve phobias & fears
- Helps control own thoughts
- Helps with focus & concentration
- Increase creativity
- Increased brain wave coherence.
- Improved learning ability and memory.
- Increased feelings of vitality and rejuvenation.
- Increased emotional stability.
- improved relationships
- Mind ages at slower rate
- Easier to remove bad habits
- Develops intuition
- Increased Productivity
- Improved relations at home & at work
- Able to see the larger picture in a given situation
- Helps ignore petty issues
- Increased ability to solve complex problems
- Purifies your character
- Develop will power
- Greater communication between the two brain hemispheres
- Respond more quickly and more effectively to a stressful event.
- increases one’s perceptual ability and motor performance
- Higher intelligence growth rate
- Increased job satisfaction
- Increase in the capacity for intimate contact with loved ones
- Decrease in potential mental illness
- Better, more sociable behavior
- Less aggressiveness
- Helps in quitting smoking, alcohol addiction
- Reduces need and dependency on drugs, pills & pharmaceuticals
- Need less sleep to recover from sleep deprivation
- Require less time to fall asleep, helps cure insomnia
- Increases sense of responsibility
- Reduces road rage
- Decrease in restless thinking
- Decreased tendency to worry
- Increases listening skills and empathy
- Helps make more accurate judgments
- Greater tolerance
- Gives composure to act in considered & constructive ways
- Grows a stable, more balanced personality
- Develops emotional maturity
- Helps keep things in perspective
- Provides peace of mind, happiness
- Helps you discover your purpose in life
- Increased self-actualization.
- Increased compassion
- Growing wisdom
- Deeper understanding of yourself and others
- Brings body, mind, and spirit in harmony
- Deeper Level of spiritual relaxation
- Increased acceptance of one self
- Helps learn forgiveness
- Changes attitude toward life
- Creates a deeper relationship with your God
- Increases the synchronicity in your life
- Greater inner-directness
- Helps living in the present moment
- Creates a widening, deepening capacity for love
- Discovery of the power and consciousness beyond the ego
- Experience an inner sense of “Assurance or Knowings”
- Experience a sense of “Oneness”
- Leads to enlightenment